Chicken is the most abundant and popular meat in any cuisine in Pakistan. However, many people don’t know how to buy and store broiler chicken.
Buying meat that is not fresh and failing to store it properly can spoil the meat. Luckily, it;s easy to buy the best broiler chicken with these tips. Later on, discover the right way to store your meat for healthy and safe broiler chicken.
Broiler Chicken Buying and Storing Guide
Buying broiler chicken in Pakistan is easy with so many meat outlets offering properly stored chicken. However, a lot of us buy from open-shed shops that don’t really care about what they are selling. They don’t wash their hands and transfer all sorts of germs with the meat.
The first advice goes without saying: always buy broiler chicken from a neat and clean place. If you have a superstore nearby, go for the frozen chicken option.
Here are some useful tips that will help you buy healthy broiler chicken meat.
Tips for buying raw, fresh chicken
- When buying a whole chicken, look for a bird with a plump rounded breast. Your chicken should have more breast than leg.
- Ensure that the chicken has a nice fresh smell
- Make sure that chicken parts are still moist
- Don’t buy chicken from ‘sale’ or if you notice that the seller is offering price well below the market price
Some people are confused about color of the skin of the broiler chicken they are buying. It has nothing to do with the health or nutritional value of broiler chicken. The skin color indicates its breed and the feed it consumed at the farm.
Tips for buying frozen broiler chicken
- Frozen broiler chicken should be cold
- It should feel hard to touch – as hard as a rock
- Ensure that it is stored below 4 degrees Celsius or 39 degrees Fahrenheit
- Look for packaging and ‘use by’ date on the package
Tips for freezing and storing broiler chicken
- Cut chicken in small portions before storing it in the freezer
- Put the chicken in airtight box or wrap it in plastic properly
- Don’t defrost and freeze chicken again- take out only the portion you need
- Ensure that your freezer is set at or below 4 degree centigrade
Tips for thawing/defrosting broiler chicken
- Don’t put chicken under hot water to defrost
- Take out the meat and put it in the fridge for an hour or two
- Move the chicken to room temperature after it has spent an hour or so in the fridge
- Put the frozen chicken under cold running water for 20 minutes
- Always cook frozen chicken at 1700F or more
Wasn’t that helpful? I hope you will be able to buy the best broiler chicken in Pakistan using these tips. You can buy as much as much you can store if you have go distance to get quality meat. Freezing and storing chicken is easy.