The global poultry industry could be facing its biggest challenge this year, according to Rabobank Poultry Quarterly Q2 2018.
“The global poultry outlook, has so far been quite good for most regions, with reasonable price levels and margins, as well as fewer avian influenza (AI) outbreaks compared to last year. However, market participants are focused on the potential for a big shake-up in global poultry trade in 2018; the biggest in many years”, according to this latest report.
- Restrictions imposed by the weak-flesh investigations in Brazil
- Temporary restrictions on exports to the EU
- Ban on exports into Saudi Arabia
- Anti-dumping investigations by Chinese authorities
- NAFTA renegotiation
According to this report, Brazil will be affected the most. However, these turbulent times for Brazil will also affect global poultry industry.
Although Avian Influenza (AI) represents a big threat to poultry industry, the number of reported cases has come down in the recent years. China is one of the countries that has shown incredible improvement, primarily due to AI vaccination.
According to the Q2 report, “South Africa (despite the big listeria crisis) and Mexico in particular are still doing well, but countries like Indonesia, India, and Japan too. The EU is also doing relatively well and breast meat prices will rise due to Brazil restrictions. Russia and Thailand are suffering from oversupply after industry expansion, and they will be looking to capture some of Brazil’s lost market share in global trade.”
Moreover, Thailand is also going to face tough times due to oversupply. It has been a problem for country’s poultry industry since last 12 months. It has already affected prices, bringing them down by 12%.
What Does The Future Hold For Poultry Industry – PREDICTIONS
After studying the Rabobank Poultry Report for Q2, it’s obvious that everyone interested in poultry industry in Pakistan wants to see how the findings in this report will affect the future of this industry.
According to various sources from the poultry industry, the future of white meat and broiler chicken is bright. Here are some of the most notable predictions that could shake the industry and help it move forward.
- Poultry will become free from antibiotics
- Animal welfare will become a top agenda for meat and poultry industry
- Buzz words such as ‘fresh’ may become insignificant for poultry consumers
- Increase attention to health will increase protein intake globally
- Poultry will be considered a healthy choice by consumers who are currently campaigning against GMO
- People consuming more vegetables will also raise their poultry consumption
There is a lot of potential in poultry business. The above discussed potential obstacles are the drag shoots for chicken farming. People want to consume fresh and healthy chicken in their meals. Poultry farmers are fighting different wars against diseases as well as against other dangers.